Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent/Community



Ash Wednesday was yesterday, which means the 40 days of Lent begins until Easter.  As many of you know, this is a time where some Christians give up something for these 40 days.  Many times it is some sort of food, like pop or candy…maybe running through the fast food line between shifts.  

For me last year, I took away something and then I added something else to my routine for these 40 days.  This year, I want to post this to be held accountable.  As hard as it is, I see that my biggest struggle where I am is making unnecessary purchases on impulse.  So, my thing I am going to give up, is spending money that I didn’t plan to spend (if I can help it).  This does not include necessities like gas, rent, etc.  Instead, these are those times where I have the impulse to drive through McDonalds cause I don’t want to cook, or shop for clothes that I don’t need.  This also means I only get what I planned to go out and get and keep myself from adding anything else to my cart.  By doing this, I hope to give more to my church and live more on necessity rather than want.

In turn, I am going to use my SendOutCards subscription and challenge myself to send out one card of encouragement every day.  Here is why my heart set on this: 

It is crucial that we don’t live in a vacuum.  

John 17 hints at how Jesus desires us to be one in spirit

The writer of Hebrews exhorts his readers in Hebrews 3 to live in community

I know that I get prideful, thinking I can live this life alone without anyone helping me.  But the reality is, I need you guys.  I REALLY need you guys.  I need you to tell me how I am doing.  I need you to be honest and real with me.  I NEED you to encourage me, and tell me I am doing all right.  I need your love.  I don’t always admit it, but I know I need you.  And you need me.  I want to know how I can help you. 
Jesus wants this of us.  He desires it because in our unity in spirit, he is shown to be the authoritative and beloved Son of God.  Our changed and joined lives is a witness of who Jesus is and his purpose for living among us.  

Satan doesn’t want it…in fact it is very easy for Satan to creep in discouragement and bitterness among communities…and we don’t even realize it.  How many times have you heard someone around you say something that offended you…and they didn’t realize it did?  Do you just brush it off most of the time?  We wish we could, but many times those innocent offenses build up and create this hardness in our hearts toward that person.  We don’t mean to be offensive, or disrespectful…but that’s how it sounds, comes off…that’s how it is received.  The more it happens, the more people shut off to us.   And what stinks is we are either to scared or too prideful to approach it and abolish it at the core.  

So when we approach each other in love and encouragement, approach each other in honesty.  And friends, your hearts may be innocent, but please watch how you say the things you say.  I know I speak with a tone that can pierce someone’s heart and completely offend them without meaning to.  I see and overhear people talk about offenses behind backs, but never approach the person themselves.  We all do it.  I am guilty of it too.  Satan smirks as he slowly watches the close, loving community drift apart, and when we aren’t in community, we are more vulnerable to attacks from the evil one.  

Hold fast.  Take heart.  It’s hard, but I pray that God can continually show me what my roles in my communities are.  I am not perfect, and often find myself hiding alone and refusing to show anyone my deepest vulnerable states.  

Let us pray like Jesus did, and seek that community so that the Son may be glorified and the evil one unable to penetrate.  

I love you all, and Happy Valentine’s Day. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Thank you for leading Young Adult on Sunday. I'm excited about the way those in the group take the Bible study and put it into practice. This is a perfect example of how you took Hebrews 3 and made it a practical part of your life.

    ReplyDelete