Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Letters to My Daughter

When I graduated High School (or college...honestly I can't remember which graduation is was) my Mom gave me a very special gift.  She wrote me a letter, expressing her thoughts and emotions of how proud she was of me.  What touched me the most was she wrote this letter way back when I was just a toddler, and these thoughts were of her looking forward and imagining the woman I would become and dreaming of where God would take me on my journey as I developed into the woman I am now.

When I was single, I filled out a journal that I gave to my husband when we got married.  I think I am going to take my Mother's idea and morph that into a journal (or series of letters) that I will one day give to my daughter.  I would like to one day, give my daughter the gift of my words and memories as I watch her grow up and express how proud I am of her.  

I won't blog all my thoughts about her, unless they encourage me in my walk toward God and allow me some sort of encouragement to all of you.  However, this morning as Harold and I read Psalms together, he prayed for our daughter in the fact that God would give her wisdom and use her to teach the adults around her.  God has already started answering that prayer within my heart, and I am excited to see how He answers that prayer and she continues to grow older.  


Dear Moyer Baby (real name will be inserted here), 

Hey baby girl, it's your Mom.  

You don't see me yet, but I know you hear me.  I'm sitting at my favorite coffee shop right now, in Waverly Iowa, waiting for your arrival at any time.  Your due date was two days ago.  You don't seem to be in a huge hurry to get out!  I'm glad you are content where you are.  You seem like it anyway with how little you fuss around in there.  Sometimes, your feet poke and press, but you never really hurt me.  You are very gentle to your Momma.  

I was told that when you are really moving around and can't calm down, that you could very well be crying in there.  I can't know for sure, but the thought of that makes me wish I could hold you more than just inside my womb.  Your Daddy wishes he could hold you too.  Don't get me wrong, it's precious to watch your Dad talk to you through my belly, but I long to see him talk to you face to face, and so does he.  

We pray for you a lot baby, and we pray for wisdom for our own lives when you arrive.  You are going to bring about such a huge change in our lives.  Did you know your Momma REALLY likes to keep busy?  She likes to move and work so much that if she collapses at the end of the day she is emotionally satisfied with how her day went.  Friday, May 1st, was my last day of working full time for pay, and now I fill my time with tasks and other misc. things that could be done before you arrive.  Your Momma has never done this before, and her life has never looked like this...where she will stay at home with you while Daddy goes to work and do his best to provide what we need.  

Did you know you have an amazing Daddy?   He likes to work too, and he is always looking for ways to provide for those he loves.  Your dad is going through a time right now where his work schedule is cut in half.  He only works every other week for a time being, but during those weeks where he isn't at work, God has provided other jobs for Harold to still make money for us.  I pray you see this as you grow up; your Dad has an amazing heart and a very honorable character.  He will do anything for you Baby, and he will do what he has to do for his family.  

We aren't perfect, but we will do our best to give you what you need.  You will not always agree with our choices, but I pray you will obey and respect us enough to trust us.  We don't have all the answers, but as you lean on us for support we are leaning on God at the same time for support.  Someday, you will lean on God on your own.  We pray that we can show you how as you watch us.  

I want to end this letter to you my dear, with your father's and my main prayer request for you.  
This is a verse that you will be taught very young.  It is probably the first verse any young child learns: 

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.               ~~John 3:16


May you know the love of God and understand it young, Baby.  May you believe and see how much we need Jesus to make us better people.  And may you have the gift of eternal life and strive on your young journey the race that is set before you, running toward the writer and perfecter of our faith, Jesus.  

We look forward to meeting you, Baby, and we hope to see you soon.  

With much anticipated love,  
Daddy and Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment