Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Gospel Greeting

I have started to go through the book of Romans.  My mind is saying "Ok, here comes a crash course from Paul!" and my spirit goes "BRING IT ON" (Harold doesn't like me saying that very much in my prayers, so I've become more reserved with that)  =D

Paul starts his letters with a very sincere greeting.  Usually we read that and move on to the good stuff...but I stopped at verse 7:

"Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

And that's where I sat for my devotional time.  Pondering those words.  Paul chose those words for a reason.  They weren't just cute words to be passed over.  Paul doesn't really say things just to say them (although he's very good at saying many things very fast and very loaded with truth!)

Let me give you a peak at what went through my head and show you my journal entry:

Paul's greeting alone points to the Gospel before he even talks about the Gospel! 

"Grace and peace"    ~~~from who? 
"God our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ." (emphasis added) 

My interpretation of what Paul just said, "Hey!  As you read this, I pray that you will receive grace and peace from God, only offered to those who see Him and have been adopted into his heavenly family so that you may call him FATHER and be assured of living eternally away from God's wrath.  I believe that God is my authority figure whom I look up to, and Jesus is the reigning Lord who is alive, fully conquering of sin and death, and is my hero."     

WOW that's a lot in just a "hello."  

Does my greeting alone show the Gospel?  

When we argue about Christmas cups, does it show the Gospel?

When we complain about standing in line for coffee, does it show the Gospel?

When we meet up with friends for lunch or a random visit, does it show the Gospel?

Are we drawing people into Christ, or pushing them away?

These are just some thoughts I had most recently.  Thank you for taking the time to read this, and may your greetings be filling with the Good News of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment