Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ruth

I had a wild hair last night, and I wanted to see which woman of the Bible I was most like.  So, as we can do now in our era, I looked up numerous internet quizes on this topic.  After taking 3 of them, my results for two of them were Ruth. 

Now I had read Ruth many times a while ago.  I really stink at reading and learning about all different types of people, but was very intrigued to see that my favorite and most well-known woman of the Bible was most related to me.  I wanted to revisit this woman's story and share some key points with everyone. 
Elimelech, his wife Naomi, and their sons Mahlon and Chilion migrate to Moab from Bethlehem.  The two sons marry two Moab woman, one being Ruth.  Elimelech, and the two sons eventually die, leaving all the woman widowed (and heart broken).  Naomi plans to return to Bethlehem and tells the two daughters-in-law to go home.  Oprah, the other widowed daughter-in-law, does go home.  Ruth denies Naomi's request and states "Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried. The LORD do so to me, and more also, if anything but death parts you and me." (Ruth 1:16–17)  She was loyal to her family.

Ruth and Naomi return to Bethlehem, and Ruth works the fields to help with finances.  The fields belong to a man named Boaz, who has shown great kindness to her.  When he had heard of Ruth's great loyalty to Naomi, he personally instructs her to stay in his field and to work for no one else.  Ruth and Naomi talk, and Naomi instructs Ruth to go and uncover his feet one night and wait for him to wake up.  Ruth does so.  Boaz wakes up and states "The Lord bless you, my daughter...This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor."  Ruth was instructed to act, but was bold enough to fulfill the request.  I wonder how long she waited at Boaz's feet before he woke up...

Boaz was in close relations to Naomi, and could marry Ruth to keep the family line alive.  Now, this part absolutely astounds me.  Verses 12-13 of Chapter 3: "Although it is true that I am near of kin, there is a kinsman-redeemer nearer than I.  Stay here for the night, and in the morning if he wants to redeem, good; let him redeem.  But if he is not willing, as surely as the Lord lives I will do it.  Lie here until morning." 

Ruth is right there and willing, but Boaz looks at something beyond his personal desires.  He realizes that Ruth isn't fully his to take.  Ruth even asks for marriage by saying "Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are my kinsman-redeemer."  How could Boaz say no??  He did because his head (and body) were in the right place.  Ruth was bold to approach and become vulnerable to him.  Boaz did not take advantage of this. 

Boaz approaches the kinsman-redeemer that was next in line, and asks him about the estate of Elimelech and the marriage of Ruth.  The kinsman-redeemer could not redeem, so Boaz did. 

Here is what I take to heart about Ruth:
She was broken-hearted
She was loyal to family
She was bold
She was patient
She was compassionate and self-less

Young women...read about how Ruth and Boaz interacted.  Read about how that relationship started.  She was bold to initiate her feelings first, but Boaz was wise enough to look past his desires and see that something else has to happen first.  Ruth did not argue, and she did not nag about it.  She waited.  This couple had brought everything to the table, but waited to see what needed to really happen. 

To finish...I think these internet quizzes were right on the money with me.  I need to look up other woman of the Bible and study them just as much, but Ruth's story is like looking into a mirror...and I am just taken back that God put the desire in my heart for me to look at this story deeper. 

What do I need to do to be like Ruth?
I need to be patient.
I need to be bold.
I need to remember that some things are just out of my hands.
I need to be self-less.

How can we as woman in Christ be like Ruth today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment