Sunday, May 22, 2011

What Makes Us Special/What Do We Desire?

I feel that God sends messages and answers to prayers in many different ways.  One is by reading His word...He makes things appear very clear to us when we read a passage, and the Holy Spirit works in our hearts to reveal something amazing.  I also believe that the Spirit can work through other people, music on the radio, occurrences in our day, pretty much anything else I can think of.  If we are open to hearing God speak, even His whispers, He will let us know He's there. 

God grants strength to those that ask for it, and He grants peace and serenity for those that really seek a sense of approval from God.  Almost permission.  God wants you to be strong.  Men, God wants you to find this strength through Him.  He wants you to know you were made for more...He wants you to know that faith is all it took for Peter to walk on the water.  You can too.  You are worth it.  As Britt Nicole sings in her song "Walk on the Water:" 

So what are you waiting for?
What have you got to loose?
Your insecurities have got a hold on you. 
You know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move. 
If faith is all it takes then you can walk on the water too.

What's holding you back?  I find it interesting in my recent reads "Captivating" and "Wild at Heart"  It's awesome how God crafted man in His image, and topped it off with woman.  Ladies, we are special.  We are something to be prized after.  Our beauty is made to show off God's tender work.  We want to be sought, pursued, and longed for.  We want to be unveiled, but we want to be safe.  It is a big risk to reveal ourselves...our hearts are a treasure.  We don't want it broken. 

We are the end of God's work.  We were the last thing that this world needed to be complete. What are we doing saying we're too fat?  Judging ourselves in the mirror?  Thinking that one zit on our face makes us a failure?  What made us become so shallow? 

Men, why did we start to look at woman's curves and their cup size?  What made their appearance so important?  Don't get me wrong...physical attraction helps, but what made THAT the main cause of a woman's worth?  I wish I could say that I would have really enjoyed myself in high school...but I didn't.  In fact, I cried almost every night because I didn't think I was good enough.  I cried after being longed for so much, that I thought I wasn't even worth fighting for...mainly for one guy that I wanted. 

Now, I am very pleased to say that I am content.  I don't cry anymore, because I know someday...my man will work for me.  He will find me, and pursue me with everything he's got.  He will pray for peace, and he will seek God's heart to find mine...and God will give my heart away.  I am content with this, because God knows my heart better than me.  In my singleness and acceptance in this, I find God revealing more and more about me as a future wife that I need to know.  I read more about what I need to be for my future husband, and gradually understand more about the woman I want to be to men around me.  God also reveals to me more of what my man needs to be like.  I feel that the two Sundays before this one had sermons reflecting expectations of men, and loving them.  Verses popped up for me to be patient for God's timing.  Passages were preached on and studied that revealed more about my direction and growth.  I was learning more about who I needed to be, and what I needed to be.  I LOVE this line...it came from one of those cute devotional books that you could read in like 2 minutes.  "Marriage isn't about finding the right person...it's becoming the right person."  For some, becoming the right person may involve accepting the person you already are...the person God made you to be. 

When I was young(er), I thought I was too intimidating.  I thought my outrageous behaviors and eccentric personality scared men away.  Now, I embrace it, along with other things I've realized about myself.  God made me this way, and I am at peace with it.  It's fun anyway!  My biggest strength I find is that I am giving.  I give my time and energy all the time.  No, I lied.  I give God's time and energy all the time.  I realized that if it was my own energy, I would be burned out in a week.  I would hate my job because I was always exhausted...but I don't.  I love it, not because I am changing lives in seniors, but because God is through me.

My weakness HAS to be anything mental...my brain isn't great.  In fact, I have a terrible time remembering the depth I go in Bible studies.  I have to write down everything that comes to mind when I read or hear a sermon, because I won't remember it in the next 15 minutes.  Recalling passages is frustrating to me.  I know I read and studied it...but I can't remember it.  I rejoice when I can actually quote something and reference it correctly because it HARDLY happens for me!  History is not my strong point...and when I try to connect historical events together I don't get very far.  When I study things concerning more history than application, I'm lost.  Now applying to my life is MUCH easier.  I pray for individuals that will be knowledgeable historically that will have the patience to sit with me and help me understand more context in the applications.  In fact, if I married a man that could do this that would be awesome!  But I don't know the man God has for me. 

So...after all this, what desires has God put in my heart for the man I want?  I pray for a man that will not be afraid to set the world on fire.  I pray for a man that isn't afraid to go against the norm for God.  I pray for a man that will honor our marriage as a representation of God's love for His Church.  I want a man that is going to keep my emotions and passions in check and bring me back to the reality of situations.  I want a man that will adore the sunset with me, and glorify God's amazing creativity in the stars.  I want a man that is going to love me, but love God more.  I remember Paul saying that his concerns in marriage is that now man has to please man and God...rather than just please God.  I really want to be a woman that will be pleased if my man tries to please God over me.   

Why do I post this?  Do I feel the world needs to hear about my personal love life?  No, but sometimes I know hearing/reading about another person's struggles or growth encourages me to find peace in myself about my own life and directions.  So, I hope that reading about my thoughts and revelations on this topic (as revealed by God) helps you all to reflect on your roles as a man or woman.  What are your strengths?  What makes you worth pursuing ladies?  What makes you beautiful?  Guys...what makes you feel alive?  What things really make your blood pump?  What brings your heart out?  Why do you hesitate? 

Men, you are strong enough. 
Women, you are beautiful and lovely enough. 
Why?
Because God made us that way.  Embrace yourselves and learn more about God's use for your strengths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment