Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Plethora of Outstanding Things and Revelations

First, sorry everyone.  This may be a big read (not like my blogs don't usually get longish anyway).

I have decided to try something different on my blog.  Not only will I be updating my posts about what the Spirit reveals to me, but I will also have a prayer blog that I will update from time to time as concerns come to my attention (ones that I feel can be shared publicly anyway). 
The URL is http://praise-in-prayer.blogspot.com/  Anyone is free to use my blog as a chance for prayer requests to get out so our cooperation in praying like the Church body can expand and grow.  Just leave a comment on my blogs as they come to you and it will be added to my prayer request list.  Praises count as well, and I would LOVE to hear about how God has answered that prayer in your lives!

I worked at my nursing home this weekend, and we did probably the most amazing activity ever...coloring.  Yes, I got to sit around and color pictures with old people.  It was amazing.  At first, you would think "that's so childish" but it was honestly the best experience ever.  We colored and socialized and had an amazing time.  One lady, whom has been on my heart lately, was in this group.  She had been very anxious because she swears that she sees her sister in our facility.  She pulls people aside and tells them she's not crazy.  My heart longed to help this woman find rest, but I couldn't ease her.  Her family was in the area, and had told her that her sister was dead, and had been dead for a while now.  My friend couldn't believe it. 

So, in our coloring group Saturday afternoon, this lady had started a deep conversation with "What do you think Heaven will be like?" and continued to talk about how old she is and how she doesn't understand why she is still here.  "What are we doing here?  We are taking up space.  What do you young people do with people like us?"  My mouth began to open, but the other elderly ladies in the group began to chime in.  "We don't know God's plan, but we can trust it's the best."  My innocent coloring circle turned into an elderly-lady fellowship where each person in that room was comforting this one troubled and distressed woman.  I was so touched.  Their faith radiated, and love poured out to this woman as they all tried to lift her up.  At the end of the group, my friend was smiling and had a peace about her that I hadn't seen in a while.  How long that will last, I don't know.  I do know that I saw the Holy Spirit use a room full of woman, stuck at a nursing home, to change a life for that moment.  They stood up to the plate, and took every curve ball of doubt that this woman was feeling. 

Moving on, I had a wonderful conversation with my parents this weekend.  I had talked to my dad a little bit yesterday, and then my mom this afternoon.  They had news that really tore me up, and made me so emotional that I wanted to punch a specific someone.  For those that don't know this, I have an older brother, older sister, and younger brother.  My older brother is struggling right now.  Sometimes I pray for people that are so far from God, that I just pray God breaks them down.  It's harsh, but God lifts us up in our struggles.  Sometimes, it takes us not having anything to realize how much we need God.  So, I had prayed this about my older brother.  Recently, I see God really working in him.  My mom has taken a stand in leading him to passages to read and really urging him to seek help.  Not for his marriage, but for himself.  God is working, and I pray he cooperates and keeps seeking. 

Father's Day is today.  What can I say...my dad is amazing.  There are so many things about this man that I truly appreciate.  I really pray I can have these things available to my kids someday through their father.  Here are a few things about my Dad that I love.

My Dad is protective.  At the time, I hated curfews.  I hated when both my parents told me to be home a certain time...especially when you saw everyone else out at least 3 hours later than you.  But, I was spared many things by coming home earlier.  My Dad also knew danger before I did.  When I was about 5ish, I could have gotten into some deep trouble, but my Dad jumped in and spared my innocence and purity. 

My Dad knew his faults.  He fought and fought with upbringing habits and behaviors that were not in the least glorifying to God...but he realized his wrongs and did his best to change from those.  The Dad my older siblings knew was not the Dad I knew growing up...and he changed that when my brother and I came along.  He realized his faults and changed with God's help.  

My Dad is realistic.  He knows enough to understand finances.  He's been through enough to have a good stand on government and morals.  Granted...I still butt heads with him about politics.  In fact, I avoid it all together if I can.  However, I respect why he is there.  My dad was in the Navy, and holds the military up high in our country.  Now, with a son in the Marines, his military support will increase 5 fold in my opinion.  My dad is a very down to earth man, and can really pick out the most logical way to do things.  Sometimes, it's too logical and plainly can't happen with everyone else...but he can think of it. 

My Dad is playful and wild.  He bought himself a motorcycle last year, and absolutely loves it.  It seems that men need to have at least one thing that make them feel free.  My dad loves working outside.  He also enjoys sitting in the garage with the TV on.  There seems to be something about the outdoors that my dad is just drawn to.  Now, with his bike, he can feel 25 again and drive off for miles at a time.  He also enjoys watching sports, and I get a kick out of the NFL season with my family.  We all get into the zone when our personal favorite teams play each other, then we call the other person and give them an ear-full when our team creams theirs. 

My Dad is supportive, but not controlling.  He had rules, and he had his spurts where his view was the only view that was right...but he didn't make you believe it.  He strongly encouraged, but he didn't make me do anything growing up.  When I thought about Air Force, my dad was right there urging me, but he didn't threaten me or make me do anything.  He knew what I was capable of doing, and wanted me to meet that in his mind, but he respected my choices for not going along his plan for my life.  I remember this phrase from him, "I believe my job as a dad isn't to be your best friend.  It's to be your guide.  It's to be there when you need me."  Him and my mom both guided me to Jesus and set my foundation.  After that, my foundation stood firm and everything else formed on top of that.  I am thankful for both of them. 

Finally, I want to address something that I feel was on me during our discipleship class this morning before church.  We talked extensively about the gifts that the Spirit gives us.  This is found in Romans 12:6-8.  This list includes: prophesying, serving, teaching, encouraging, contributing to the needy, leadership, and showing mercy. 

Now, all these things seem to be pretty natural, right?  Kinda...(except for prophesying) but how do you know you have any of these as your spiritual gifts?  As I was sitting in and listening, I was thinking about what God has done in my life and really worked on in me this past year.  As I thought about it, I was seeing numerous things coming up that God has really worked on.  Serving and Encouraging were the two that I felt were the obvious ones for me, more so now as I see how God continuously fills me up to serve at my job.  I even see it with my peers...I thought it was a "weakness" to get involved with everyone's concerns and want to help them...but I realize this is part of my gift.  I thought it was intruding on everyone elses' lives...now I realize it's the Spirit in me using me to address these issues and do what I am able to do about it.  I feel encouraging is used side by side with that. 

The two others that I thought deep on were teaching and leadership.  I avoided teaching situations because I felt I just wasn't good at it.  However, reflecting back, God has put me in situations where I needed to instruct.  He used me in my service to teach and instruct others through Christ's message.  He has brought people in my life that asked me to do this for them.  It's happening even when I want to avoid it.  I feel it's not a strong gift now, but it's one God wants me to improve on.  Leadership as well.  If I am put to the test, I will do my best to make it happen.  But, if I know someone else is better at it, I back off and prefer to follow.  If no one else is there to do anything about it, it's like the Spirit JUMPS out of me and takes over completely.  It's really cool to experience even though it may not be too often. 

God continues to do amazing things in my life.  He has provided a Mom and Dad that I will try to take as an example for me and my future husband, and has given me the eyes to see more into His purpose for my life.  I trust that God continues to reveal to me which way to go next, and also shows others in my life in case I miss it the first time.  

Again, feel free to share prayers and praises that you wouldn't mind having plastered up on my prayer blog. 

http://praise-in-prayer.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment