Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's Okay, It's Clean...Pure

Does God change His mind?  How does me make you change yours?  Would you believe that God can tell you something now and then change it later?  Isn't God supposed to be unchangeable?

Yes, and He is.  So...why the change in messages?  Let me reflect on something that I was really hit with during the Bible study I'm part of Sunday nights. 

Acts 11:9  "The voice spoke from heaven a second time, 'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.'"

Here's a little back story:
Peter saw a vision from God:
A large sheet came from heaven and on it where animals that were considered 'unclean.'  God says to eat it and Peter refuses (honoring the laws that we can read about in Leviticus).  Verse 9 is the response to Peter's refusal. 
The meaning of this vision, as Peter explains later in the chapter, shows that the Gentiles should also be hearing the Gospel message and that they weren't to be considered "unclean" or "impure" in hearing the good news. 

Although this is a powerful message we all need to remember in our lives, I want to take of part of this idea and elaborate on it...why did Peter say "No" to God in this vision?  Was Peter being stubborn?  Did Peter doubt? 

We have seen mighty happenings occur through this bold man...I don't feel Peter was any of these things.  Peter thought he was being obedient.  God had ordained a law, and Peter was following it.  It appears that Peter was so stuck on the law that he didn't see past the obvious right away; he was engrossed in what God had instructed him before that he didn't see the new thing God was telling him right away.  God appeared to be telling him "eat this" when really he was saying "It's okay, it's clean...pure." 

I believe God can do this for us.  He can hold us off from something...but it doesn't mean "No, never."  Jesus was known as the King of the Jews, but the Gospel was meant for more than the Jewish population.  His direction changed, not His plan. 

God may have told you to wait or take a different route, which may have had you interpret that answer as "No, never," when really He was saying "No, not now."  Well my friends, are you able to hear God tell you when something goes from unclean to clean?  Are you hearing God say "It's okay, it's clean...pure?"  I believe the laws in Leviticus were written not just for pure obedience...but for health reasons as well.  There was a purpose for those laws that made sense in those days.  As time went on and civilization advanced, some of those laws weren't necessary.  The direction changed.  The plan was still in working progress. 

Stop and pray about anything God may be trying to catch your attention with, and ask Him to help you understand the new things He is sharing with you.  I had been asking God to make sense of a few things in my life, and the following passage has come up to me supernaturally.  So, I broke it up and interpreted it by sections based on the direction God is taking me now.  Maybe my answers fell between the lines.

Either way, ask God to show you what you may be able to pursue now that you couldn't before.  Ask Him to reveal to you the things that are pure now that weren't pure before.  Don't let the stubbornness of "Well, God said this first!" keep you from advancing in your faith and receiving His beautiful blessings. 
  
Psalm 23

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want...
There is only you Heavenly Father...I am your sheep in need of leading
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul...
You captivate me by the wonders you show me in your creation...it fills my heart and energizes me.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake...
You bring me to crossroads and instruct me of the right way...the way that is pleasing to you
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me...
If you are for me, who can be against me?  I walk down paths that seem hopeless and I can't see the end...but I'm not afraid.  The evil one is on pursuit...but I will not be scared...for you are with me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies...
You supply for me and protect me in the face on danger...I am taken care of in the midst of temptation and trials
You anoint my head with oil...
You anoint me with your Holy Spirit...you have anointed me with a purpose, and in due time will it be revealed...I am being prepared for it in everything you bring me to.
My cup overflows...
You give to those who ask for more until they overflow with your words, mercy and love. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life...
Despite everything else going on, all I need is your goodness and love in my life.  I am blessed to have that.
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."
I will forever be in your presence when my days down here are done...I can't wait...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment