Monday, July 16, 2012

Calming Peace

Two posts in one day is really cool, cause it means that God has really laid things on my heart to share with everyone. 

Today at work, I had an afternoon free for one-on-one visits to people in their rooms.  I walked by one gentleman's room and walked in.  His wife usually comes and sits with this man every afternoon.  He is progressing far enough in a disease where he becomes very confused, agitated, even sometimes aggressive.  Today, he was that.  He was twitching around, couldn't relax, and he had a grip that could break my hand.  (His wife was very concerned for me)

I sat by this man's bed and held his hands, gently stroking them to try and calm him down.  Him and I were having this conversation that I fully didn't even know what it was about...but many times you go off of what the resident talks about and try really hard to meet them where they are at that very moment.   

This guy and I were having quite a time, and at many points he was squeezing my hands and pulling my fingers around enough that I probably could have had them broken off.  But surprisingly, never once did I get uptight.  Never once did I worry.  His wife rose her voice a couple times to tell the guy to let me go, and I felt bad hushing her to keep the atmosphere calm.  He calmed down if there wasn't any reason for him to feel threatened, and I kept my calm.  The wife went to try to get a nurse to give him a pill, but the guy wouldn't take it.  So instead, they rubbed a gel on his arm that would help to call him down.

Then the miracle hit...I felt the urge to start singing to him.  I sang "How Great Thou Art" to this man, and his grip INSTANTLY loosened and he let me go.  He stared off, calm as could be as I went through the first verse and chorus.  Because of the gel, this man was able to stay calm for the rest of the afternoon, from what I could see anyway as I'd pass by his room after that. 

I believe that the peace of God flew from that song, and radiated inside of me to help me keep my calm no matter what.  So cool to see what happens when we just let God fill us.  We are able to fully rest in Him.  We can keep fighting Him, or we can submit again and again to His promises and continue to be filled with Peace. 

Thank you God...I needed to experience and ponder on this. 

1 comment: