Tuesday, July 24, 2012

To God Be the Glory

Salvation...no matter how extravagant or simple your story is, it is still an awesome thing.  Some people (our friend Paul) may have turned from a life of persecution to a life of fearless evangelism.  Others may have "just prayed a little prayer in a normal, good Christian home." 

How it happens doesn't make it any more or less awesome.  We need to remember that our souls have been saved from eternal damnation.  We have been spared from the eternal wrath of God.  It doesn't matter how it happened here, because what matters is IT HAPPENED!

But after the fact, it is so cool to see how God has changed you because of His Son.  It is really neat to step back and see how far you've come.  Don't get caught in the past however, remember to keep striving forward.  But...sometimes it's really neat to see how God has done a work in you so far.  You really see the kind of person that God has saved you from, and it makes Him more glorified in your life! 

A could Sundays ago, I prayed to be more vulnerable and to open up more to people and ask for more help...
During the sermon this Sunday, God filled me with terrible behaviors and instances of my past, and told me "I opened your eyes numerous times...remember?"  And I started to play the "What if..." game.  Thankfully, I don't have to think "What if"  because I now know what my future will be thanks to my awesome Savior.

I prayed about it, acknowledging this isn't part of me anymore, and I was called to share with you all a few things that has happened in my life that I am so glad God saved me from, because I don't know how I would have turned out if those little things didn't occur as they did and if God didn't open my eyes to change.  To God be the glory. Sorry it's long...but I hope it's worth it. 


I was saved at a young age, 4 or 5 years old as I prayed a prayer at my bedside with my Mom.  Around that young age, a “friend” would hang out with me and show me some ways to pleasure myself and him.  In my innocence, I didn’t think anything of it.  This kid would lay on top of me, French kiss me, and show me how I could do other things alone to myself.   He would get more physical the more he knew I would allow him to show me, and finally my dad was catching on to this kid.  He found us and chased this kid off our yard thinking he stopped the problem.   Had my dad not cared, I wonder what would be different in me today…
Those images and feelings haunted me.  I wanted the pleasure, and being young I tried to do that to myself.  My mom caught me and scolded me, so I just got sneaky.  But as I grew up, I knew this wasn’t right.  I knew I didn’t want to be wanting this, but those images kept haunting me.  Images of this guy on top of me consumed me…

I struggled with being alone so young.  Before high school, I was obsessively into one of my youth leaders…to the point that I would stalk the poor guy.  He knew I was doing this, and he tolerated it, but he never really told me to stop it.  I lived pretty close to him, and I would sit on the corner a few houses away from his house, waiting for him to come home or come outside so I could stare at his very lean and fit body.  This man was 10 years older than me…and I was only about 13.  

When I got to high school, my youth group went to a nation-wide event called Challenge.  It was held every 4 years in Salt Lake City Utah, and I was able to go with my group.  Here, another crush of mine (only a few years older than me this time) was with us.  I am not sure where we were, but it was dark outside and him and I were out talking.  I was still haunted by those images as a kid, and for some reason it was consuming that night.  I fell to my knees *dramatically* but my friend took the opportunity to lay his hand on me and pray for me to be released…and I was.  I was not haunted by those images, nor have I had any occurring images run through my head since then…but the pleasure seeking spirit was still there to be struggled with. 
Numerous other times I would have crushes, some with close friends.  I would get impatient and initiate discussions of relationships, hoping they would return feelings for me, and none of them did.  I was devastated, wondering what was wrong with me and telling God that he didn’t make me pretty enough.  Nobody wanted me.  Nobody wanted to love me.  I had a hard time loving myself.  

But then, after my freshman year in college, someone did love me.  A younger boy, only a Sophomore in high school.  I worked with him over the summer and developed a good friendship with him, and stronger feelings followed from both ends.  The last day before I would head back to Wartburg that year, we went for a walk…and again…I started the conversation of my feelings…but this time he echoed my words back.  I cried with him as he held me that night…a feeling I had been longing for so long.  

That relationship lasted 3 years…talk of marriage arose between us.  My life was planned to live near him when I graduated and wait for him to finish school.  That would have brought me to Sioux City Iowa after I was done at Wartburg and my internship.  My parents knew something was wrong, but I refused to give in.  I began to think that he and I were against my parents.  Distance rose between me and my family emotionally.  I would feel out of place.  Family holidays happened, and I felt I didn’t belong.  They didn’t like him, and it made me mad.  I tried to get him to go to church with me, but he didn’t want to.  He didn’t want to dig deep into God, and I eventually became okay with this.  I tried to change him…I really never gave him reason to think he was good enough…

Then I compromised more physically…he and I wanted to be alone…and the more we got alone, the deeper into each other we got.  At this point, I suppose I only knew how to physically please, so that’s what I wanted to do, compromising more and more my original stand for my purity.  Finally, after dated over 2 years, I had broken the one promise to my future husband that I couldn’t take back.  I lost my virginity.  At the time I didn’t think it a huge deal, because I was set on this guy being my husband anyway.  As I said, my life was based around him.  He gave me a promise ring and everything, so I thought I was okay.  

Then God changed this guy’s heart to another girl.  We broke up, and I was shattered.  Not only was my life completely lost now, but I no longer had that precious jewel in me.  Reality hit me hard the couple days after he broke up.  I am no longer a virgin…(this is not easy to say, please understand that).  

Now my ponder moment, what if God didn’t send my dad to stop my younger friend?  What if God didn’t answer my friend’s prayer to release me of those memories?  What if God didn’t break me of my relationship?  Would I be pregnant now?  What would I be doing?  How many would I have been with?  Friends, I see God has saved me, but I also see a lesson…I see that the majority of the guys I fell for were Christians, but not Jesus Lovers.  I didn’t date because God knew I wasn’t ready.  For so long I had begged God to give me someone…and I was willing to really take anyone that would return my love.  He gave me someone to show me something valuable, even though it hurt me.  He showed me the value of my family by having that suffer.  He showed me the value of my purity by having me lose my virginity.  He showed me the kind of guy I really needed by giving me what I was asking for.  God has really opened my eyes through these circumstances, but something deeper happened after the break-up and even up to today.  God showed me that HE is the one that can fill me.  He was the one I was seeking all this time.  However, I payed a huge price because in losing my virginity, my heart aches even today.  I was looking through some of my journals in finding what I wanted to share on this post, and I came across this section:  

December 4, 2011 – Breaking Free Mission Trip Reflection
….We loved on people…We loved these women that for their whole lives hadn’t known what real love was.  Then it hit me.  My past came back.  My imperfect soul and body.  The fact I was not a virgin killed me.  But God grabbed my heart with a verse (referred to a sermon shared that Sunday).  To me, my sexual sin made me tainted and unworthy of a godly man who was waiting.  I felt that a godly man was being dangled in front of me to taunt me.  “He is so rare and in love with God…this man…I could entrust my everything to him…but he deserves more.  He is looking for something I don’t have anymore.  He is wanting someone who waited. I blew it with him…”  These are my lies.  I am not bound by this person anymore.  Yes, I made a mistake, and no longer have the treasure called “virginity,” but I am made pure again through Christ.  I am “forgetting was is behind and straining for what is ahead.”  

I see now that in order for me to see the real beauty of Jesus, God needed to break me by “giving in” to my desires only to take it away and show me that He is still there when everything else crumbles before me.  He planted a pain in my heart that aches for other girls that are struggling like I did and still do at times.  I had to pay a huge price before I would be able to see past my pity party of being forever alone.  And I take that today by asking God to soften my heart to hear Him more and by getting more of myself out of the way.  Today I dig on the promises of His unfailing love and pursuit for me.  I see how Rahab was blessed and forgiven, but I also see how those that resist temptation more than I could receive a higher reward, hence why a virgin was appointed to carry the Son of God.  The prostitute and tainted woman is used to show our relationship with the Father, and the cool thing is that we will be completely clean of our past and presented as a beautiful bride before our Lord.  What a promise that is for me!   I hope that the man I marry will still see a precious jewel before him on his wedding day, and that God would renew that in me for his sake.  I also pray that this man and everyone reading this will see the power and love of God working through me, and that this will open your eyes more in making connections of God’s hand in your lives.  

Genesis 2, when Adam was made and alone, God said “It is not good for man to be alone.  I will make a suitable helper for him.  

That is me…I am my husband’s suitable helper, designed for him…and somehow this past of mine, this impurity of mine, this change was used to really grip me and make me just that.  I know he will see that when God opens his eyes, I just have to trust beyond my own being.  The biggest change I see is based on the lie Satan planted in me saying “This is how you please a man,” which led to my fall.  Not anymore…God is showing me how I can really please the godly men around me, and even my husband beyond the physical.  The rest comes later, in the marriage bed.  Then I can unleash everything.  

This time, I will wait.  Thank God for second chances. 




No comments:

Post a Comment