Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bible Reading Part 2

I have this study journal with me this time, and I just want to type out a section of the introduction to this journal.  There are three parts that I will summarize for this post:

Part 1-Bible Reading, Absorbing Your Bible

  1. Summarize-stay surface level of what is actually being said in the scripture.  Record the basic facts of what is happening and what is being said.  Do not put yourself in this picture yet, nor analyze what this would mean in your life.  I've noticed with myself that I totally skip this step often, and it actually gives me a misconception of what God is trying to tell me because I assume something is being told to me in my life that is irrelevant to the text. 
  2. Meditate-or "marinate"  Allow the words of Scripture to absorb into your mind and heart.  Memorize what is being said, ponder this by rewording the scriptures into your own words and make them personal (but don't change what is actually being said).   Repeat a verse or message of the passage over and over in your heart and let it soak in.  While you do this, ask yourself questions such as "What does this teach me about God?"  "What does God want me to learn about me?"  "Is there a specific sin that I need to repent of?"  "How does this passage testify of who Jesus Christ is and what He has done?"  This takes time.  Don't rush this step. 
  3. Respond-Depending on what you have found in your heart, whether it was a sin in your life or a revelation about God's character, offer it up to God in prayer.  Thank Him for showing you what you saw.  Praise Him for the good you found in Him, or confess to Him the sin that He brought to surface in your life.  
    1. I like this, because so many times when we communicate with God, we do all the talking and don't give God a chance to respond.  This way, God is speaking first and we are quieting ourselves to hear Him, and THEN we respond.  It seems backwards, but to quote this journal quick, "this response portion is a healthy reminder that true theology (the study of God) leads to doxology (glory to God).  That is, knowing His Word impacts us holistically--our minds, our hearts, and our wills and actions."  
Part 2-Praying

As I had stated in the 3rd point above, prayer is crucial in our walk with Jesus.  God communicates to us in His Word, and we communicate back through prayer.  Don't be afraid of the junk in your life, bring them before God.  Don't worry about the lack of faith you have, God wants you anyway.  Jesus makes it possible for us to come as we are.  God knows all the junk, hypocrisy, failures, and doubt we have already...and He still loves us.  As you read more, you will see that.  You will see God's compassion and trust that more and more no matter how sinful we are.  Jesus makes this possible, so come as you are.  Bring your hurts, shame, imperfections...and praise Him! 

Part 3-Journaling

This step is pretty much taking what you've learned and putting it down to allow it to further sink.  I really like to journal what God has spoken to me because it sinks more into me when I process it enough to put it into words that I can express.  It also gives me a reference that I can look back to and remember what God has taught me.  I forget so fast, even if I study it.  I can't remember references very well, and I really have to work during the meditation process for me to really grasp the teachings for a long period of time.  Journaling helps me with that.  

Apparently, putting pen to paper awakens areas of your brain that would remain inactive during your studies, and by journaling you are awakening more of you and creating more of a healthy habit rather than a random exercise. 



Friends, make the habit of "marinating" into Scriptures.  Even if it's just a verse at a time, let it soak into you daily.  Fill yourselves with something.  Take it from me, it's easy to set unrealistic goals, and it's VERY easy to set too many realistic goals to make them all unrealistic.  

Satan is very good at distracting you from good things, and VERY good at distracting you with too many good things.  Both keep us from really soaking into God's message, and Satan will try very hard to do whatever he can to hinder you from hearing God's voice.  

I hope these last two posts help in your studying.  Be eager to share what God has spoken to you with others.  I am encouraged by this greatly when I hear how God is working in those around me.   Get hooked into community.  

And again, I love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment