Friday, September 7, 2012

Living a Metaphor Part 1

Yesterday I was pondering this 5k run that I'm training for at the end of this month.  I personally have a handful of goals that I wanted to accomplish with this, but my perspective for this has been slightly different than my last goals with this similar purpose. 

My personal overall purpose for exercising is to lose weight, or tone up.  I want to lose my flab.  Now, true...I don't have much and I am actually very healthy.  This reason fed on the main reason that made it very difficult for me to commit to this.

1) I wanted the approval of man

 I really wanted guys to turn their heads and see a cute bod.  I really wanted others to pat me on the back for my accomplishment.  I really wanted people to tell me how amazing I looked. 

However, many times I would have people tell me "oh girl, you look great!  You don't need to lose."  And my motivation was gone.  Some guys at my work would flirt with me, and I felt "okay, I'm okay." 

PS.  NOT a good reason for ANYTHING

News flash that I love to hear and need to hear very often

You have an audience of one, and you already have His approval

God doesn't care how much I weigh, and ladies He doesn't care how straight your hair is, nor does He care about how prim and proper you look.  God wants you, all of your, raw and emotions and all.  God desires you, the real you.  The way He made you.

Now, does this mean let my body go?  Not at all.  In fact, now I'm exercising with a different perspective.  My goal is not to turn heads now get others approval.  My goal is to keep my weight to myself, be happy with who I am, but to persevere with a task that would seem so difficult that I would appear to fail in my own mind normally.  Usually I stop at failure, and this is why I would fail.  Because I stop.  I am really trying to lose weight to get myself to break past that point for me.  I know I don't need to lose, but I also know I can. 

God has taught me a LOT through this simple direction.  Let me show you faults I've found:

-I have a hard time committing when failure is even possible in my perception
-I have a hard time taking others peoples plans because I want to take all the credit in my heart for coming up with my own method (hardcore pride)
-I have a hard time persevering through if there is no real reason for me to

I noticed that other areas of my life have improved BECAUSE of these things coming to surface.  I have realized more of my heart and what really keeps me from accomplishing God's plan.

Spiritually, I need to live the same way.  I need to set a plan to read and not just glance by.  When I exercise, I don't just walk a block and call it done.  I spend time, really digging deep into me and letting out all the energy I can to burn the most calories I can and actually see myself improving.  It's the same with my walk with God.  I need to be taking steps forward.

Just as I need to be open to others input and advice with running plans, I need to be open with those around me and accept their input on the Bible.  If the running plan doesn't help me, I disregard it.  If the teaching isn't sound, I disregard it. 

I gotta get to work now...but I really want to elaborate on this more with Scripture.  Have a great Friday!  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment