Saturday, September 22, 2012

Living a Metaphor, Part 3

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
2 Timothy 4:7

When my 5k is done, I hope I can say this.  I hope I kept myself accountable in my routine.  I also hope that when my life is coming to an end, I can say this as well.  I pray that I can say "I have kept the faith."  "I persevered through the tough times and kept myself going toward Christ even when I have a gust of troubles pushing against me to slow me down." 

 I finished.  Sure, it wasn't amazing timing, but I finished.

This morning was my first 5k run.  To me, a lot was accomplished.  I met all my goals for this race:

1) Survive
2) Run it under 30 min.
3) Keep to the routine

Running wasn't part of my history, nor was it ever really my favorite way to exercise.  I was an aerobic girl, dancing around in the basement of my parents' home for a long time.  I'm also a yoga girl, holding stretches and endurance that way.  These were done in the privacy of my own space.

Running can't stay inside.  Running is out where everyone can see you.  Even when you start off, people look at you and can see your pace and analyze every movement you make.  (this is in my head obviously)

I needed this.  I needed to stop hiding and being scared of not being good enough.  Not being the best.  The truth is that I was making up all these lies and judgements inside of me.  I needed to overcome this.  I wanted to run and try it.  I needed to stop putting the judgements in other people. 

I needed to stick to a routine and keep going through it.  There are so many things in life I need to commit to.  Some of them I have decided to fight through in the midst of this race.  Some things I do need a little more kick with, but I am learning more and more that I need to pick something, pray over it, and do it. 

In all honesty...I don't want to be the wife or mother that is sitting on her butt saying "Honey, what should I do?"  For every little thing.  Yes, I want advice and input, and I need a man to be realistic with me.  But I want to be able to have some courage to do some of that myself so I am not fully leaning and exhausting my husband or close friends. 

And right now in life, I have freedom to commit to what I can do.  Am I going to sit on my butt and let it slip away?  Or am I going to keep getting up and walk toward the goal that I so desire before it is no longer available to me? 

For my first race, I walked away so happy and excited at what I had done.  Did I get passed by more experienced runners?  Oh course!  Man, it was hard for me to not be discouraged.  However, my goal was not their goal.  My purpose was not their purpose.  My training was not their training.  I didn't have to be as good as them, because I was in a different place. 

This is truly something that I have to drill into myself, but thanks to Jesus I am able to overcome!  I can see more through His eyes rather than my competitive eyes.  I am so thankful that He is showing me this, because it brings me so much more peace.  It will be very easy for me to fall back into my pity party and insecurity, but I was able to see and experience freedom from this thinking.  I know it can happen. 

Thank you Jesus. 

Fight the good fight!  Finish the race!  I love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment