Tuesday, October 9, 2012

SLAVE

Deuteronomy 10:12-13

And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,  and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?

This morning, I was reading with a couple women through the book of Deuteronomy because my knowledge of the Law is so...not present in my being.  I find that this is a great way to start my Tuesdays, and it is a huge blessing to be part of a community where I can meet with fellow sisters and absorb God's blessing in His Words.

In the passage we read today, a couple times I noticed that the above passage was presented.  It seems plain and simple, right?  This is what God requires of us daily.  Yes, back in the day with the Israelites, they were presented with this commandment, but this is still God's character, this is still all that God wants of us...and I believe that pre and post cross, this is still what God wants of us.  He wants our hearts.  He wants our obedience.

I Peter 2:16

Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves.

We are free from sin, but slaves to God through Christ.  As slaves, we are still called to obedience, and slaves back in the day devoted themselves to their masters.  They were taken care of and protected, but they swore to serve.

That's what we are called to do.   That's what God wanted of the Israelites, and that's what we are called to do.  What kind of master do we serve? 

Deuteronomy 10:18-23

He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing.  And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt.  Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. He is the one you praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. Your ancestors who went down into Egypt were seventy in all, and now the Lord your God has made you as numerous as the stars in the sky.  

How encouraging???  He defends the weak, the hurting, He loves the foreigners, and we are the foreigners.  Thank goodness.  He provides for us.  He really cares about us as His slaves, His children, His beloved.  

Still, we find ourselves running to other masters...and they don't meet our needs near as much as the Holy God of Israel.  Something I am thinking and praying about is to "brand" myself as a slave of Christ.  I had been debating for a long time about getting a tattoo....I keep telling myself to hold off and if the desire is still there with right motives then I "may" get one.  I would use this tattoo to spark conversation.  To get something with meaning, but obscure enough for people to ask about it and have an opportunity to present the Gospel.  We will see if this door stays open for me...

How are you serving your Master today?  Be thankful that we follow someone that cares and obey Him today.  

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment