Monday, September 5, 2011

An Intro to Acts-How to Wait

I had taken a few notes last night from my young adult Bible study, and went back to review my thoughts today.  We are going through the book of Acts, and started our focus with how we (my generation) wants to portray the church as well as the Church.  We looked into a few questions, but here's one that I want you to ponder. 

How do we (church and Church) want to be viewed? 
**For those wondering, church is referring to our local community (building church) and Church is the entire body of Christ (Christian brothers and sisters)**

In my generation, are we sitting here going with the motions because we are comfortable with it, or are we really seeking to go out and "set this world on fire"?  Personally, I want to draw people into the church by showing them how much the Church means to me.  I thought more about this, and realized that I won't do this effectively by verbally making statements to everyone.  Instead, I am showing them how much I love being part of the Church by how I live.  I want people to stop and go "There is something different about her...and I want to know what it's about."  I want the Holy Spirit to season me with salt and make me a flashlight that points to God.  That's how I want to be viewed as a Church body.  They will know FOR SURE we are Christians by our love. 

My other notes I made from my study last night can all be connected:

Acts 1
Verse 6-The disciples asked about Jesus' kingdom yet again.  Was it okay to ask this?

Verse 1-5-the evidence and proof of Jesus
   Actually, 40 days worth of proof...how much proof do you need?

Verse 4-God tells them to wait.  Why? 

Verse 14-They prayed constantly.  Why?  

It's okay to ask God to make sure of something.  If you don't ask, how will you know?  Ask with eagerness and pray constantly because you don't want to miss what God is going to show you when He wants you to know and act.  God has given you all the proof you need to follow and do what He is saying...how much more proof do you really need?  Knowing all this, wait.  Wait in prayer.  Wait with eagerness.  Wait with assurance because God has given you all the proof you need.  Doesn't matter what you are waiting for...some things are harder than others.   

Now, my questions for you....we have two instructions from Jesus that I will bring up.  In his great commission, he says to "Go."  Here he says to "Wait." 

If you are waiting, how do you know when you are supposed to go and act?  Do you respond?  Are you scared?  Is waiting easier because waiting keeps you from harm or distress? 

When God says wait, follow what the disciples did in Acts 1.  When God says go, remember what the writer of Hebrews said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." 

If fear is keeping you from going, "The Lord is my strength and my salvation, of whom shall I be afraid?" 

Wait with eagerness...but when you need to move, do it with full assurance.  How much proof do you really need? 

No comments:

Post a Comment