Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Grace in a Mere Child

Oh to be a child...to be young again to where all you had to do was walk into a room and everyone would light up.  Yesterday while at work, we had some kids from a school (grades 3-5) make May baskets for the residents.  They came over with the baskets and delivered one to each person in the Home.  I had the privilege of watching the faces of residents light up the world, just because a child walked into the room with a colored box with candy inside.  I remembered one lady's face that I will never forget.  She stays in her room all the time, is very picky with her food, rejects my invitations to do anything, and sometimes can have a very flat look to her.  She has smiled for frequently, but today's reaction almost made me cry with joy. 

The child came in, and this woman's first reaction was smiling cheek to cheek.  She asked me "Is this your child?"  (No...no it wasn't...this kid was in the 3rd grade...and I don't have children...yet).  Her face was still beaming and she was so overjoyed with the gift.  "This is so nice!  Thank you for thinking of me!"  She reached out and grabbed the boy's hand.  This whole time, he was quiet and maybe said a few words. 

To put this feeling I had inside me into words, I felt my heart had melted by the warmth these children had provided, and then exploded with pure joy at seeing my residents with so much life!  Just because a child walked into their lives and thought about them for those few minutes.  It meant the world to them! 

Before this, my friends, Jay and Becky Baker, had their second son...Eli.  I had gone over Tuesday evening to see little Eli, and I got to hold this precious little man.  I rocked him gently, and began to pray over this boy.  I remember looking at his scrunched up baby face, and pondering what amazing plans God has for him.  I thought what trials, what tests, what accomplishments this little man would grow from.  Just think, Eli may change the world.  In some ways, he will. 

I also found myself singing quietly while rocking...I felt like a mom.  Someday, I will hold my own little boy/girl.  I will be pondering if my boy will play varsity in football.  I will wonder if my daughter will be as involved with music as I was.  I will wonder if this boy will someday leave me for the military.  I will be praying for a legacy through Christ to evolve through that little child.  I will be nothing but a mom, protecting and nurturing.  When I hold my little baby boy/girl, nothing in the world will matter.  I will have my world in my hands.  I will be filled with absolute peace.

Funny how a child can sit there and breathe, and you are surrounded with an essence of calm.  Some rejoice.  When we are new-born Christians, the mature ones around you should feel this same calmness.  We should be spiritually excited and relieved to have a new child in the family.  We should all be spiritual moms and dads to these children.  We should be nurturing.  If real children didn't grow up knowing their worth, they probably wouldn't grow up.  Same way, if baby Christians grow without knowing their worth, they will stumble. 

Show all your fellow brothers/sisters, young and old, how much they are worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment