Sunday, April 10, 2011

Powerful and Selfless Savior

Matthew 21:21-22
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.  If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." 

Isn't this incredible?  I find this statement by Jesus to be truly amazing.  We were talking about Matthew 21 in young adult group, and this passage mainly stayed with me as we finished. 

The context of this passage falls under a few main things:
1) Jesus is in the middle of His death march.  He is days away from fulfilling His ultimate purpose...and knows it.
2) He had just finished cursing the fig branch because it had not grown any fruit on it.  The disciples were amazed and asked how that could happen so quickly.

First off,  Jesus just caused a fig tree to whither instantly before His disciples eyes.  They were amazed.  His response to their amazement (passage stated above) pretty much says "through me, all things are possible...as long as you believe."

As long as we believe..." If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."  Does this mean that we will get anything we want?  Do I pray with the intentions of getting what I ask for?  That's what Jesus is saying isn't it? 

Well, no.  Sorry. I have prayed for some things and have not seen my wishes come true in that regard.  In fact, I have been close and rejected to many things.  Does God ignore my prayers?  I can tell you this...He has answered different prayers by waiting with others.  Maybe a while ago I asked for patience, or a more independent heart...or maybe even prayed that I can become more submissive to God.  I may have encountered an "ignored prayer" by having another one answered because of that.  My answer to this prayer may be years away.  I just can't see it. 

Anyway, what this is saying is that our motives for praying should not reflect on the fact we will get it, but the fact that God can give it.  If we believe God can do it, it doesn't matter if He will or won't.  We need to remember that God does answer every prayer...we just forget that there are three different answers we will get.  He doesn't ignore it.  He will answer it.  "Yes" "No" Yes, but not now (or No, but maybe later)"  If we get a No it doesn't mean God didn't answer our prayer.  He did.  We just may not like that answer...but He answered it. 

God is powerful enough to even make the impossible happen.  Rest assured...God may be putting something on your heart to develop patience, endurance, and even draw you closer to Him to avoid your own faults.  He may be doing something to keep you aware of a possibility in your life that shouldn't be happening right now...but it might happen later.  God's timing is key. 

Reflect on how awesome God is for a minute...just how powerful this being really is...
Quick and recent story for me...my parents were in the middle of the huge tornado outbreak in NW Iowa this weekend. My family literally stared at the finger of God measuring about a quarter of a mile wide, heading right for their house.  Storm spotters said that the tornado had lifted up just before it hit their place.  Their territory was left untouched.  The neighbors area however, suffered.  Buildings were destroyed (except their house).  I serve a God that can wipe out buildings with a finger....barely a finger...but I also serve a God that can answer my prayers to keep my family safe.

When I felt the news about this, I was in the middle of a mad rush at Duos.  I barely had time to stop and pray, so I did while I was making coffees.  I didn't even get chances to check my phone for results until a few minutes after they were sent.  I really felt Satan using this to tear me down, stress me out, and take my focus away on how awesome my God is.  It says in Psalms to resist the devil and he will flee from you.  So resist.  I fully believe, especially after this occurrence, that anything Satan intends for evil God can use for good.  Satan was using this disaster to break me down and turn my focus from God.  God used it for me to trust Him more and made it more real to me just what kind of God I serve.  Satan brings little curve balls in other struggles I go through, and really plays with my heart.  God uses it to mold me.  God uses it for me to keep seeking and running to Him.  John 16:33, Jesus says at the end of that verse "...for I have overcome the world."  THAT is how awesome my God is.  This God can give me anything I ask for, because He is able to.  Doesn't mean He will, but He can and I believe He can. 

Do you?  Reflect on how awesome God truly is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment