Friday, April 1, 2011

Jesus, I'm Listening

I am doing a Bible study with some wonderful young ladies about learning how we can better hear God, and how God speaks to us.  We are also touching on submitting ourselves to God, which in itself is a huge way that we can begin to listen to Him. 

I am really a fan of Romans chapter 8, and should memorize this chapter honestly.  I would like to highlight however, one section outside this chapter: 

Romans 1:18-23. 

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.  For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--His eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."
----Everywhere we look, we see something God has done.  God's creation is all around us!  We are reminded of his divine spirit in everything.  How can we look at a tree, the birds, or even a giant F5 tornado and say "God does not exist"?  He has made his presence very clear to us.----

"For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.  Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles."
----Ever since the fall of man, we have this barrier in our path between us and God...it's called sin.  I like to think that in all these verses in the Bible that reflect seeking after God and submitting to Him, that my sin barrier can diminish...but never fully disappear. 
Here is an example of a sin barrier growing thicker.  If I do not praise God for all the good in my life, I draw further away.  If I do not look to God and seek Him in everything in my life, my wall gets thicker.  My words are no longer as inspired by the Holy Spirit, and my motives become more focused on man than God.---

Romans 8:5 reads "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." 


What is keeping your sin barrier thicker than it should be with God?  What things do you desire that are constantly keeping you distant from God's plan for your life?  Do you live according to that addiction, or attraction, or even attention?  If so, drop it.  Drop it now.  The next verse reads "The mind of the sinful man is death..."  Seek after God.  To love God above all else is to be able to say "I will give up EVERYTHING for you."  Not just "Yeah, you're okay, but I really like this better...so I won't give that up for you."  I love you Jesus, but I love this sin more.  *Sin barrier gets thicker* 


And remember, community is very important, but God's company is the best you will ever get.  If you keep putting up the barrier, how can you ever feel His peace to the fullest?  I am disgusted with the fact I can't...but when I do...I would hope to give up anything to keep that peace.  Someday I can give up my body, and let that sin barrier stay behind with it!  I hope you all can be as excited about this as I am. 


So start busting down your sin barrier today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment