Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gideon vs Moses

I am doing a study with a friend of mine about Gideon.  I will admit this...I stink with Old Testament.  In fact, I think I just stink at understanding and connecting New and Old Testament and allowing myself to put the pieces together that make up these great stories we have in the Bible. 

So, I will point out a few things about Gideon that I truly admire and respect in this man; things that I have seen through my studying and reflecting between Gideon and my friend.

1)  It's okay to double-check...even triple-check with God (Judges 6:36-40)
2)  It's okay to be cautious and afraid...we don't have to always have it all together ()
       -Finding Christ in your strength
3)  God takes away the odds, and still conquers
4)  Gideon vs Moses comparison I made
       -Gideon:  "So God, I want to make sure this is coming from you.  I will do it, I just want to know it's really you telling me this." 
       -Moses:  "God, I know it's from you, but I'm just not the right guy.  I think you're mistaken." 

Which character do we reflect most?  Are we the people that know it's God and ignores it, or are we the people that don't argue, but we just want to make sure?  Notice that each person still accomplished God's will, but God's response was different for each person. 

With Gideon, (Judges 6:15, 23, 36-40, 7:10-11) God responded with reassurance that was comforting and supportive to Gideon's mission.  "I will be with you..."  "If you are afraid..."  "Peace!  Do not be afraid." 

With Moses, (Exodus 4) he kept making excuses.  God had made Himself very evident to Moses, but Moses had a lack of belief in himself.  "What if they don't believe me?"  "I am terrible at speaking!"  "Oh LORD, send someone else please."  God responded a little different...and by a little I mean a lot.  (Exodus 4:14)  "Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses." 

What does this change in attitude look like for us in our lives?   Does God seem to get impatient with us when we argue with His plan?  Does God assure us that we are on the right track?  What does this look like for you?  Are you the one with prayers that are arguing with God, or are you the one that continually is getting those second and third chances to see God's is really there?  Either way, trust God's direction.  Trust that you are good enough if God is calling you to it.  If you are afraid, ask for peace.  God wants to be the source of your courage, and your self-confidence.  No one else can do it, and we can't do it without Him.  Let Him in and make you strong from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment