Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lot's Wife

This week in my Woman's Devotional book, I am going through the life of Lot's wife and her legacy she left behind.  Sadly, Lot's wife was not known for her roles as a mother, wife, servant...nothing like that.  She was remembered for looking back, missing what she was leaving behind.  She was remember for what she became...a pile of salt. 

How interesting is this?  Today's part of my devotional focuses on her legacy in scripture.  Questions are asked such as "What do you think were his wife's thoughts and feelings when Lot offered his daughters instead of his guests to the raiders?"  Wuff...tough question. 

It was said that in those times, a guest was highly respected in a household.  You put up great security for your guest...even to the point of sacrificing family members to keep your guests safe.  How crazy is this?  It is so interesting to learn about these things for me, because I understand scripture so much more if I knew the context of the situations.  In this case, I am floored at even thinking about my future husband giving up my children so my guests can stay safe...I wouldn't know what to do! 

My devotional then asked about why Lot's wife would want to look back while they left Sodom.  Why would she want to stay in such a wicked city?  For us, it seems like such a dumb thing to ponder.  If it's wicked, leave.  Well, how hard is it for us to point out our sins and desires as "wicked" and want to turn from them?  Sometimes we get so caught up in the good pleasures of life that we don't want to break away from them, even if they are hurting us.  Lot's wife must have had an attachment to the wickedness in the city, and had a couple things that she treasured a little too much.  Why else would she turn back at the city? 

Do you turn back on things in your  life?  Do you make the commitment to stop an addiction, drop a bad friend, end a poor relationship...and then turn around and spend our time looking back?  What makes our fate any different than Lot's wife?  There are plenty of times when I should have turned into a pile of salt.  Thankfully God is forgiving and uses me as another kind of salt for the earth. 

Stop looking back at your past mistakes and regrets and start moving forward so that we may season our earth with salt instead of become a worthless pile of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment