Friday, July 1, 2011

The Stuff

"This is the stuff, that drives me crazy.  This is the stuff that's getting to me lately.  In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed."  The Stuff by Francesca Battistelli

Right now, I reflect on my morning and am reminded of the song lyrics above.  Last night was a good night with a good walk with a very good friend.  It was hot, humid, gross, and draining on me...but I liked it! 

However, this totally exhausted me and right when I got home I passed out...so hard I slept through my 4 (yes, 4) alarms.  I awoke with a phone call from my director wondering where I was.  I got to work 45 minutes late. 

I was...well...royally ticked at myself.  I was mentally beating myself up for letting my mornings get so delayed that I eventually slept through my alarms.  I was so embarrassed when I got to work.  Satan pretty much had a hold on my attitude while I was at work..then God revealed Himself in a way that I couldn't resist.  As I was getting my residents ready to play some Uno Attack, one lady found a beachball in the room...and started to throw that ball at me and the others residents that I got into the Activity room.  I saw their smiles and laughs like they were children again, and God retrieved my very weary and distressed heart.  I was then able to let God shine and put my stressing morning behind me. 

Sometimes we get so worked up in the mistakes we make that we put that in front of something amazing that God is going to do.  I would not have been able to fully love on these people in the home if I was still beating myself up about being not even an hour late.  (I am not justifying that being late was a good thing). 

Today, what things are Satan keeping in your thoughts that is making your day so down because you're worrying about "the stuff"?  What things are keeping you from accomplishing something greater?  What things are on your mind that make you distracted or even doubtful of God's work in you?  Go find your "playful old people" to remind you of God's purpose and control in your life.  It doesn't take much, and if you're to distracted you will miss it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment